While videogames are customarily a leisure pursuit that entertains, relieves stress, and transports you to other worlds, the world of mobile gaming in particular has popularized the another aspect: the sport of building a collection of virtual items to wear, ride, fight with, and display as a indicator of your prowess.
SEE: How to play Fortnite Mobile and win: A guide for beginners
Like most mobile games of this ilk, Fortnite (Android, iOS) is also effectively free to play, relying instead on purchases of individual in-game items for real money. There is the occasional giveaway, though it also comes with strings attached. Take, for example, the launch of Samsung’s Galaxy Note 9 phone, which was paired with the launch of Fornite on Android devices.
If you picked up this phone when it launched in August, you were entitled to a free Fortnite “skin,” which is an alternate look for your player character. This “Galaxy” skin gives you an appropriately cosmic look — and it turns out that it’s not the last Fortnite fringe benefit for Note 9 or Tab S4 owners, according to Samsung’s latest announcement.
Starting on November 1, owners of the Note 9 or Tab S4 tablet will gain access to a “Galaxy accessory kit,” which includes a new glider, an in-game backpack, and a new look for their harvesting tool. As per usual, these are just cosmetic changes that have no direct impact on gameplay.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
This package will arrive upon the broadcast of a live Fornite stream on a Twitch (Android, iOS) channel run by popular player Tyler “Ninja” Blevins, who will be joined by actress Nora Lum, hip-hop artist and producer Travis Scott, and Samsung contest winner Hector Diaz.
To entice Fortnite mobile gamers to pick up a Note 9, Samsung is offering trade-in deals worth up to $600 until November 3, on its website and at Best Buy, AT&T, and “other retailers.”
Samsung phones have an app store of their own that streamlines the installation of Fortnite, which on Android otherwise requires a few extra steps that don’t use the Google Play Store. However, iPhone and iPad owners can download and install the iOS version of Fornite directly from the App Store.
- Owners of the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 or Tab S4 tablet will have the exclusive ability to access a new set of Fortnite items starting November 1.
- The items are a new glider, backpack, and harvesting tool. They are cosmetic only, so they don’t impact gameplay.
- Be aware that installing Fortnite on Android requires a few extra steps, and it does not use the Google Play Store.
- Fortnight Mobile expert’s guide: How to be the best
- Best Fortnite Mobile companion apps to play — and stream — your way to victory
- Epic Games sues popular YouTuber Golden Modz for allegedly selling Fortnite cheats
- Elon Musk trolls ‘virgin’ Fortnite players, game fights back (CNET)
- Google’s Project Stream: Chrome becomes testbed for game streaming services (ZDNet)
- Virtual reality: A cheat sheet for business pros (TechRepublic)