SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) – Southwest Airlines recently completed a successful test flight from Oakland International Airport to Honolulu.
While Southwest has yet to formally announce the official inauguration of new flights to Hawaii, competitors are apparently feeling the “Southwest Effect,” a term describing when fares fall and traffic rises once Southwest enters a new market.
At last search, roundtrip tickets from the Bay Area’s three major airports — San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose — were offering flights to Honolulu for as low as $358 in mid-March.
According to the San Antonio Express-News, the airline will announce route pairings and future sales after it receives federal approval to begin Hawaii flights.
The publication also reports Southwest intends to offer flights from the three Bay Area airports plus San Diego to the following cities in Hawaii:
- Honolulu on Oahu
- Kahului on Maui
- Lihue on Kauai
- Kona on the Big Island
According to the publication, industry rumors hint at a possible announcement about new Southwest Hawaii flights on Feb. 14.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- FALLING CONCRETE SHUTS DOWN RICHMOND-SAN RAFAEL BRIDGE
- GAS LINE EXPLOSION SPARKS MASSIVE FIRE IN SAN FRANCISCO
- FDA: DEADLY CANCEL LINKED TO BREAST IMPLANTS
- VIDEO: MAN STOPS ON BUSY HWY, SHOOTS SCHOOL BUS DRIVER IN HEAD
- MAN THREW METH-FUELED ‘DEATH PARTY’ FOR HIS WIFE BEFORE SHE DIED